South Florida’s new USA Swimming and USA
Masters Swim Team.
Dear SFTL Members and Prospective
Welcome and congratulations on choosing to
join the City of Fort Lauderdale’s new team, Swim
As your SFTL lead coaching staff, Head
Coach Dave Gibson, Head Masters Coach Marty Hendrick and Head Age
Group Coach Jennifer Gibson, we want to assure you that our goal is
to make this the best program in South Florida, Florida and the
No matter the age (5-105), no matter the
level (Novice to World Ranked), and no matter what program (Swim
School, Age Group, Senior or Masters), Swim Fort Lauderdale will be
cutting edge & a leading model for others to aspire to. We will
take care of, educate and inspire our
While we still have work to do behind the
scenes, the day-to-day practices will be pretty smooth. Look for
more information to come concerning, our new website, how to pay
dues, meet schedules, Booster Club, parent & training group
Again, welcome and Go Swim Fort
- Provide a first class swim team program
with excellent coaching for all participants.
- Provide a safe, people friendly
- Promote our total team role in maintaining
a clean, orderly and safe environment.
- Create a positive, excellence based
- Provide appropriate and effective
instructional, training and racing opportunities so each swimmer
maximizes his/her potential.
- Design sound practice and racing
opportunities that match and suitably challenge the emotional and
technical skill development of each swimmer to allow him/her to
accept challenges and confidently progress to the highest level
- Create an environment through positive
thinking and advocacy and secure the resources needed to allow the
program and each athlete to reach the highest possible levels of
- Support, encourage and praise personal
improvement for every participant.
- Create and maintain a positive environment
in which every participant feels valued as a person, teammate and
- Use enthusiasm, positive thinking and
creativity to make swimming and athletic achievement an enjoyable
- Promote a respect and appreciation for
life long exercise and a healthy lifestyle.
- Use the swim team experience to teach
about goal setting, dedication, cooperation, competition, positive
expectations, winning and losing, joy and disappointment, risk
taking and stress management, and healthy and productive decision
- Create an environment which promotes and
reinforces good sportsmanship, appropriate behavior, and personal
- Use positive reinforcement
- Use praise and constructive instruction to
strengthen the confidence of every participant.
- Seize every opportunity to say thank you
and well done.
- Seize every opportunity to recognize
- Create an environment for elite level
- Build team closeness and identity by
functioning as a unit: teach each other; push each other; value
each other; support each other – during successful moments
and when people are struggling; sit together at swim meets; cheer
for each other in practice and at meets; wear identifiable team
attire at all team functions.